Wednesday 15 February 2012

Valentines Gay - A Hall Mark Holiday

So the day of love has come and gone and I would like to sadly inform you that it appears that I have failed in my bid to secure myself a husband by the deadline that I had previously set in this post, not only have I failed to secure myself a husband but I have failed in my bid to get a boy anywhere within 5 meters of me. You would think that I would be slightly bummed by this turn of events but sitting her on this day of love, I guess I am really not. I may be single but I have more love in my life than I probably deserve, I have lots of people that love me, even though they know exactly who I am. 



A lot of people complain about being single but in my opinion, they are looking at it from entirely the wrong perspective. Being alone gives you time to figure out who you are and time to explore the person that you would like to be. It gives you time to be thankful for the amazing people that you have in your life and gives you time to spend with these people. Being single allows you to deal with your baggage from past relationships and allows you to go forward into new relationships with all your heart. With an explanation like that, honestly how can anyone complain (and Bunnings has batteries on sale at the moment ladies so that aspect is covered as well)

High Voltage Single Life

I personally love to see loved up couples out in public*, my favourite thing in life is to see other people happy because I guess, I would want them to hope for my happiness as well. Seeing couples in love gives me a solid reminder of what is to come for me, more than what I'm missing out on. I've experienced amazing love before and now just isn't my time and its instead the time for someone else to experience that. Love and the prospect of love makes me smile. 

I will admit though that I am disappointed in the negativity that the Hallmark holidays brews in people, and from what I've seen its not just the single people that are finding a cause to complain. so here is my theory on the complainers

The Singles  the single people that feel unloved and unimportant on Valentines Gay. They get upset that they don't have that special "someone" to shower them in overly expensive gifts of love. They hate everyone that has what they "want" and like to tell the whole world what a crock of shit the whole day is 



The Couples People in relationships (well clearly, hence the couple thing) that go into the day with high expectations of what's to come. They want presents and dinners and declarations of every lasting love, and when the partner falls short of these expectations, the sky is falling and they proclaim to the world that the whole day is a crock of shit 



The Loved Up People whether they are single or in a couple that see the world around them and all the love in it everyday, whether it comes from a partner or from their friends (or the neighbour hood cat that you are trying to chase and force to be your friend). They make a concious effort everyday to show the people they care about how special and loved they are. They proclaim to the world that the day is a crock of shit. 

I have had this happen to me, and it was the most amazing experience so much love for free

One thing that all groups have in common is that they believe that the day is a crock of shit, but unlike the other two the "Loved Up" thinks its a crock because they don't need an excuse to show their love. 

Whilst writing this blog I tried to cast my mind back to romantic events that have happened in my life, and surprisingly it wasn't actually as easy as I thought it would be, and I don't actually think its because my life has been bereft of romantic moments but it was because every moment that I spend with someone special is always filled with a taint of romance (yeah don't worry, even that made me vomit) 

There was one tremendous day when Mr Flat Pack went above and beyond for me. It was coming up to our anniversary and he rung my boss and booked the day off work for me without my knowledge, slipped a diamond watch on my wrist while I was (pretending to be) asleep, made me breakfast in bed, took me on a picnic lunch in the national park and then dinner by the beach so we could walk along the beach at sunset. Never in my life has someone gone to so much trouble for me, I felt like a princess and like I was the only person in his whole world (and I actually think that I may have been) 



I am generally not one for such grand gestures and am as happy with the little things as the big things. One of the nicest memories I have from my last relationship was the "boy" coming to work with a box of six tiny decorated cup cakes for me and all my work mates. He took the time to come up and meet my gushing boss and then slipped out again like nothing had happened. From that day on all my work mates referred to him only as Cupcake (not a very fitting name for someone of his macho calibre), and I still smile about that memory to this day. Something as simple as cupcakes showed me more love than I could imagine. Once again I was the princess and it felt amazing 

These were the cupcakes - something so small meant so much 

Which brings me to my next point, all girls, even the ones like me that act independent and pig headed, want to be treated like a princess. To me being treated like a princess doesn't mean having gifts and money festooned upon me, it means someone who takes the time for the little things. The coffee in the morning for someone who doesn't like to wake up (thanks Army Brat), that extra kiss as you leave the house, a message with a smiley face just because you are thinking about them. If you take care of the little things, the big picture generally completes itself. My desire to be a princess may come from the Mills and Boon I read (yes I admit I read them, don't judge, I read real big girl books as well) and the abundance of RomComs that I enjoy, but I also think it has to do with the fact that I have previously been treated like this and believe that every girl should be. 

So people, I ask you, think about the person that you are, if you are going to say that something is a crock of shit make it for the right reasons. Make every moment count 

Loves and Battery Buying 

Miss K 

P.S Here is a fun little fact for you, Valentines Day originally came about to honour a Christian Martyr called Valentinus. And for those of you that don't know, a martyr is some one who suffers death of persecution for refusing to renounce or accept a belief. Its romantic links only came much much later (after the Romans had removed it from their calendar as a national holiday) so by berating your partner about forgetting the day you are actually showing the true meaning of the day, not the Hallmark meaning 

* I would like to put a disclaimer in here, I love watching people being romantic from a far, if people around me have public displays of affection it freaks me out and makes me feel really really uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with jealousy, its just that I don't want to see you rubbing them all over. I think it stems from not being a huggy child. 


No comments:

Post a Comment