Wednesday 25 January 2012

We are one?

With Bogan pride Australia Day upon us, I have sat with my tinny of fosters and reflected on the reason for the season (or the celebration). My name is Kerry, I am born and bred Australian, My parents are Australian and my parents parents are Australian, I eat Vegiemite, drink beer and love a good meat pie but I will admit that my southern cross tattoo has lost some of its lustre in recent times about the going ons of the nation. I ponder what has happened to the youth of today and if they are actually aware of the reason that we celebrate Australia Day

Australia Day was always my favourite of national holidays, I loved the fact that people cared about the country they were from, took pride in what we stood for as a nation and wanted to celebrate what we had achieved.  I was that kid down the foreshore playing cricket in my Aussie Flag and bucket hat with green and gold zinc on my nose, I got a Southern Cross and a Boxing Kangaroo proudly festooned on my body on the permanent. I was Australian and Proud of everything that stood for. I wore my tattoos with a sense of pride, but now a days I am ashamed of them, I got mine before they were "cool" and every man and his dog had them and used them as an excuse to vilify White Pride and Australianism. 
This is my now hidden Aussie Pride

The meaning of the day has seemingly been lost in the drinking. Are we losing our history and our heritage and something that we could once proudly proclaim to be the Australian spirit because of the drunkeness that goes along with every national holiday? When did Australia day become about hating everyone who is different from you instead of about loving the lucky country that we live in?

To me  being Australian is about living in a Multicultural society, having an amazing life and being given amazing opportunities to become the person who I want to be. It makes me upset and mad beyond belief when I see people having prejudice and racism to people who are different but still call themselves Australian. Should it not be enough to people that these people want to make a new life for themselves and embrace Australia to do that? They call us the lucky country and its true, we are. Australia is a growth country, I personally dont see anything wrong with that growth coming through Immigration. If the roles were reversed wouldnt you like to be given the opportunity to start a new life somewhere else if you wanted to? And why are people that jump up and down about "Non Australians" being in our country seemingly ok with "white"' people being allowed to enter? They tote they are worried about their jobs, well I have one thing to say, work harder and you have nothing to worry about. Also think about the jobs that these people take, are they jobs you would really be willing to take?




So now I may have victimised and angered half my reading population (and its not that big so risky move) I will wrap this up, if you are the kind of person that has "Fuck Off We Are Full" Stickers on your car, please I beg you, delete me from your life, your brand of closed minded Bullshit sickens me to the pit of my stomach, just because you were lucky enough to be born here does not give you the right to hate on people that werent. Just remember sonny, we all came from convicts. I am going to go and sit on my porch in my double pluggers, drinking my tinny whilst throwing another shrimp on the barbie and think about how lucky I really 


Love and Confusion 


Miss K 


P.S I was at the shops today and there was an Asian family doing their groceries, the young daughter said to her mum that she wanted a Australian hat and  a shirt and when I looked in the trolley it was full of Australian Paraphernalia and this made me smile, I was feeling so negative all day about Australia Day and they reminded me what it should be about, taking pride and celebrating the bigger picture. Do we really need a crane to lift a pallet of tim tams? Keep it real people


This should be what Australianism is 
(A very good looking MC who I would do unspeakable things to)


No comments:

Post a Comment