Wednesday 18 January 2012

Sole Destroying....literally

As I have progressed in life I have realised that I really should set myself some goals so that I have something to aim towards. In light of this I compiled a list of things to achieve by the time I am 30, funnily enough I cant actually remember what any of them were apart from one. I had a dream, and that dream was to own a pair of designer high heels by the time I was 30 *cue angels singing and harps ummm... harping* but hey don't judge me, I'm not a super model so the dream of "world peace" doesn't have to be my staple answer and a girl has needs you know. 

Let me paint the scene for you, its early on birthday morning and the Tattooed Army Brat wakes me up (brave man considering his understanding for me and mornings) and asked me if I wanted my present, he then reaches under the bed and pulls out a wrapped shoe box. I was excited instantly thinking that it would be a balla pair of high tops (the Army brat is after all a sneaker pimp) and you can imagine my surprise as I pull off the paper and the words "Peeptoe" is staring back at me. Very early on in the relationship I had tried on a pair of these amazing designer high heels and he had remembered and gone back and got them for me (the girl from the shop remembered him and swooned about how romantic he was *spewwwwwwwww*)

This is the sight that greeted me :D

Why designer shoes I hear you ask? Im not really into the whole world of high end fashion but there is an air of magic around a pair of coloured soles. Your feet can feel the difference (even if it is a placebo affect I don't care) and in a good pair of heels you can take on the world. Its the pelvis thrust, it really drives you insa-a-a-ne (I know you were just singing and dancing to the Time Warp, don't deny it)

These shoes quickly became a vital staple for my life, 5 inch black patent leather Peeptoes full of love and deliciousness, I wore them to work, I partied in them and sometimes I even did the house work in them, these shoes were sent from God. I was never "that girl"* in these shoes, they took me on more adventures than I can remember. They went from being shoes to being a part of my family 

At the start of the relationship with the shoes, I will admit that I wore them for the wrong reasons, being slightly bitter about the demise of my relationship with the Army Brat I made it my goal in life to use the shoes to pick up boys (strange idea now I look back at it). One particular night a lad of 21 commented that my shoes were nice and I ended up making out with him in a back alley (but thats not being a cougar because he thought I was 23 so it makes it ok) I went home feeling triumphant and desirable but in the cold light of day I realised I was using the power of the shoes for evil instead of good and it was time to put them away until I could act responsibly with my toys. 

Fast forward a few months, I was feeling better about life and decided to bring the shoes out of retirement and what followed was 18 months of drinking and dancing,  2 resoles and 3 reheels. The shoes saw me eating randoms pizzas, having boobs rubed against my face, riding in a trolley and dancing on podiums. They walked for a million miles and never let me down. 

"The Shoes" Coming out of retirement



The last outing for the shoes was on a balmy night in early December to my work Christmas party, I frocked up, slid my feet into "The shoes" and headed to the seaside location and partied the night away and at the time I had no idea that this was to be the beginning of the end. Being Christmas time in Freo taxis were like Hens teeth and our little Posse headed out on foot in search of a mighty taxi chariot to take us home, we walked for hours (or probably not but it was a considerable distance) and despite my feet hurting and my companions pleas to save my feet and take his shoes, I continued forward in my 5 inch heels. We finally got a taxi and night turned into day and I eventually got back to my car and threw my stuff in the back and headed home for some much needed rest. 

This was the last outing for them... and a boy even wore one 
(maybe this was what really killed them)

Well see I am of the forgetful breed and days turned into weeks before I realised that my amazing shoes were somewhat lost. After realising the error of my ways I ran to the car and on opening the boot was greeted with a sight that still turns my stomach now, there in the boot of my car was my beautiful Peeptoes in a warped heap, the Australian summer sun had been the final straw for them. They were on their way out anyway, they were stretched and scuffed, due for the 4th reheeling and the heel was beginning to develop a distinct wobble because of a snapped spline, but none of this mattered to me, I was sure that they had a bit more life left in them before I had to lay them to rest 

Really Dead :(

I walked back inside clutching my fallen comrades to my chest and was met by laughter from my house mate. How could he laugh in a situation as serious as this? Did he not have a heart, did he not understand that I had just lost a member of my family? I retreated into my room to mourn the passing when the hippy house mate came in and I remarked to him that I didn't have the heart to throw them out even though I knew it was time. On turning them over in my hands it came to my attention that the brand insignia was still intact!!! SUCCESS!!!! I could keep a portion of my shoes as a constant reminder of our lives together. I handed my precious shoes over and with a bit of hacksawing later (testimony to how well made these shoes are) the soles were returned to me and the shoes went off to farm (as an adult I realise this means they were dead but its easier to think of them frolicking in a field with all the other shoes)

Memories are all I have left now

I have since purchased another pair (or two) of Peeptoes but so far have not built the same attachment to them as I had for the originals. Hopefully the pain of their passing will fade with time and I will find a place in my heart for the replacement. To me they were more than a shoe, they were a memory, an adventure, a wingman, a partner in crime but most importantly they were my family. So lets hold a minutes silence for our dearly departed and next time you see a girl with a pained look on her face and amazing high heels, spare a thought for her, she knows the inevitable is coming 

The new Pair.... but sadly its just not the same

Love and Sole Searching 

Miss K 

* That girl is a girl who takes her shoes off and carries them in her hand. I have in the past been known to be that girl, but I was never "that" girl in my Peeptoes

Photo Evidence that I am "That" Girl sometimes

P.S ladies buy yourself a pair of designer heels and you will understand what I mean, you CAN feel the difference and the quality and workman ship are worth every penny. My Peeptoes were about $250 but they lasted me 18 months so it was in my opinion the best money the Tattooed Army Brat Boyfriend spent on me. I still thank and curse him on the daily for starting my addiction... but now I have seen the light there is no turning back 

No comments:

Post a Comment