Thursday 31 October 2013

Music to My Ears - 10 Albums Full

I have come to realise over the years that I am possibly incapable of silence, the internal chatter in my head needs to be drowned out and I need something to give me a spring in my step. Queue music, every moment in my life comes with a memory and an accompanying sound track. With so much brilliant music in the world it is hard to narrow down what is the best of the best. We all have our tried and tested albums that don’t grow old and continue to entertain with each subsequent play. Here are my 10 ten albums of all times and the moments for which they have punctuated life

Pennybridge Pioneers – Millencollin
This was the first album that popped into my head when I started to think of this topic. Swedish Punk cant go wrong in my head (it was also a favourite of my reading public when asked what their top albums were). It came out when I was 17 and seeing my first ranga boyfriend. He was this surfing, skateboarding relaxed kind of guy and this album was on repeat for our whole relationship.  I have now seen Millencollin 4 or 5 times live and even as a 30 year old I cant help but rock out to them when they are on.  I lost my car, got tackled into a bean bag and rocked out wearing old school Gallaz to them. Ahh the days of wide legged jeans and giant skate shoes.



Three – John Butler Trio
Around the time of Pennybridge Pioneers I was introduced to John Butler and his amazing slide guitar skills (also by the Ranga boyfriend). It was the nice kind of chill out music that was always playing in the background and if I was one to get stoned I am sure this would have been the soundtrack of these sessions. I followed JBTs career closely and saw them live more times than I can count. After one performance at UWA I caught the Drummers (I think it was Nicky Bomba at the time) drumsticks and on shoving them up my shirt and running like the clappers I hid in a bush so no one would mob me (I was a bit of a drama queen back in those days). If anyone doesn’t know John Butler he is a bit of a political opinionated hippie who doesn’t like to wear shoes. He writes music and lyrics that make you think, I appreciated this.



Smash – The Offspring  
This one should not ever need an explanation. There is something about the smashing guitar riffs that make me smile, like an internal light flicking on kind of smile (The one in Genocide is probably my favourite, closely followed by What in the World Happened to you?). This Album could well nearly be as old as I am, I remember taping it on Cassette (yep that certainly does show the age) while on school holidays in Perth. I have done many coastal cruises with this blaring, it doesn’t really matter the occasion there is always a place for The Offspring.  It also always makes me want to learn to play guitar when I listen to it. (I am actually listening to it right now and I cant help but tap my foot and play air drums)



The Sound of White – Missy Higgins 
This album made me believe that I could well be a lesbian (even though I was in a long term committed relationship with a dude when it came out). There is something about her voice that just excites my loins. I used to pick up a girl I worked with on the way to work and she would always get in my car and go “Are you listening to that album AGAIN” and yes I always was. It was on high rotation for about 6 months and I still listen to at least once a week. Around this time a friends father passed away and they played Sound of White at the funeral and it still makes me think of her whenever I hear it. Its sad and heart wrenching and makes me appreciate the people that I have in my life.



Lungs – Florence and the Machine 
WOW. That’s really the only word that can be used for this album and Florence herself. This came out around about the time that the Army Brat and I were going through our demise. It healed me, it hurt me (he had mentioned that the new girlfriend would play the album in the morning when they were gymming and that made me hate it) and it helped me to move on. I went to see them in concert and it was a revelation to me. There was this amazing lady on stage that had so much energy that it could fill a stadium and it made me feel happy to be alive. She cant really put a foot wrong in my eyes and Ceremonials only just missed out on my list.



Imagine – Armin Van Buuren 
This Album was the sound track to my mid 20’s. It was my first exposure to trance and its full of songs that make me want to close my eyes and lift my hands in the air and have the music wash over me (and I have done this many many times). This album saw me nearly overdose on Drugs (sadly this happen more than once) and go to giant festivals and dance like no one was watching. It is my go to gym music and the way it builds and lifts always puts a smile on my face. For good or bad this album has been with me, its all about the ups and downs.



Hold Your Colour - Pendulum 
Back when Pendulum were cool drum and base and before they did their live bullshit (which I have seen and didn’t enjoy) there was a pure album that came out called Hold Your Colour. It was back in the days when I would go for hills runs on my lunch break, it would just be me and the road and this album. LOUD!!!!!!! It clears my head and gets my heart beating all at the same time. When I hear it now I think of those clear days with the sunroof open and the trees whizzing by. It reminds me of my youth and being free, it gives me the sense of invincibility, nothing could get me in those moments. I also got back together with Ikea Flat Pack after a Hold Your Colour Show at Belvouir Amphitheatre (New Years Eve 05 maybe?) . There is also a song that has a really creepy Willy Wonka sample in it, how can you not like that?



Californication – Red Hot Chilli Peppers  
With RHCP having produced so many amazing albums it was hard to narrow it down to which was my favourite but Californication took the cup on this one. It reminds me of summer days and concerts at the Dome. It is a mix of hard and soft and amazing guitar that makes you an air guitar king. I had my first (and only) at fault car accident because of this album, I was driving to work and wanted to listen to it so was flicking through my Ipod and not paying adequate attention to the road when I rear ended some old lady (who on a side note was a stupid bitch, I ran to check if she was ok and she swore at me and then told me off for swearing back). Anthony Kedis has this amazing voice and this amazing body and it really is all music to my ears.



The Chase – Illy 
I honestly don’t even remember how I got into liking Illy (well maybe it had something to do with the fact that he is a bit of a sexy stud muffin) but this album punctuated my travels to Japan so when I hear it, it takes me back to walking the streets on those crispy autumn days. It is the positive kind of Hip Hop that is my bread and butter, it gives me hope for something better, reminds to keep pushing and makes me want to bounce. And who can say no to a bit of bounce.



John Williamson – True Blue  
When I was 7 I went to see John Williamson in concert at the Entertainment Centre and since then I have been hooked. I cried when he sang at Steve Irwins funeral, I sing along when ever I hear Rip Rip Woodchip and Little Piss Piddle maybes me laugh and smile. It’s an album from my Child Hood that even as an adult I can savour. I dare you to listen to it and not sing. If it was a book it would be that feel good reading that you do before bed to send you into sweet dreams. He sings about real issues that are all Australian and it’s the kind of music that makes me proud to be from this land down under.



Music to me is like a time line and with my evolving tastes I am sure that new things are going to pop up on my list, but as you can see most of these Albums are pushing into classic territory (bar the Chase and Lungs most are over 10 years old), I guess maybe they just don’t make music like they used to. It was actually much harder than what you would imagine to narrow my list down to 10. The ones that only just missed out were The Hard Road Restring by Hilltop Hoods (I used to drive the Blue Eyed Boy home most nights and he would always fall asleep so I would have this in the back ground, kinda like a lullaby for him and a soothing melody for me), The Signal – Urthboy, Greatest Hits – Bruce Springsteen, Lady Writer – Dire Straits and Breathing Tornados by Ben Lee.

Music can change a life, make a moment and cement a memory. It helps you to remember the good times and the bad and the friends that helped you get there. Gods greatest gift has been music (and big boobs) and a day without the melody is a day wasted.

Love and Lullabies


Miss K 

P.S Some top picks from my loving fans 
Hilltop Hoods - The Calling 
System of a Down - Toxicity
Radio Head - OK Computer 
Aqua - Aquarium ( I kid you not)
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

No comments:

Post a Comment