Thursday 1 March 2012

Its not freaking mars for goodness sake

I've been walking this road called life for near on 29 years now and I feel like I have come to a cross roads  and for the first time in my adult life I am feeling unstressed and totally free about it and its a tremendous feeling. Something happened this week that has now set the ball in motion for some big life changes and this has excited me more than the new kite I got today.

I think it will come as no surprise to anyone that knows me but I am a bit of an impulsive person and I have a slight sharp temper. Rewind the clock to the start of January, things at work were getting a bit out of hand and my stress levels were through the roof, on going in to have a chat to my boss some rather adult expletives left my mouth at a rate of knots and I made the decision that it was time to possibly move on from that position. I have worked in Credit Control for 10 years and over that time I have become more bitter and sceptical than I thought was possible, it really is a soul destroying job. I woke up every morning and didn't want to go to work. It was time to give up the ghost, so in a flurry of words I handed in my notice and it was done. 

This is how I liked to collect

I had been thinking for a while that I would like to change my career path because lets face it, all this amazing is some what wasted on calling people and asking for money (though I am very persuasive and can normally get what I want). I went around to a few recruitment companies as I was still in two minds about what I wanted to do and on one of these visits, one young lady put an idea in my head and for better or worse it kinda stuck. It was one of those ideas that once it got into my head it festered and grew and took root and my whole being was centred around getting this job. I got a new dress, I rehearsed my questions, I got a wax (I didn't know if that was going to be one of the questions, it cant hurt to be prepared you know), new nails and new adult hair. I was ready, on the day of the interview I put on my best lingerie and designer high heels (actually now I read that back, I sound like I was becoming a stripper, but honestly, that wasn't it) and sat through a few hours worth of interviews. 

This is serious business Kerry

In my head there was only ever two options 1. get this amazing job, stay in Perth and build a career that could lead to an interstate move in the future or 2. temp for a few months, save my coin and skip the state in search of new adventures and brighter pastures. So as you can see, everything was hinging on this job. On the way to the gym last night (some one week after my second interview) I got a phone call saying that whilst I had interviewed well, I was not the stand out that they were looking for. Instead of feeling sad and disappointed, I was filled with a sense of excitement, the decision had been made for me, failure had never held such a sense of accomplishment

So I hear you asking, why an interstate move? On travelling to Melbourne at the end of 2009 I fell in love the minute I got off the plane, the art, the architecture, the culture (oh and the donuts), other than Tokyo (which came later) I had never felt more at home in a city that wasn't my own. It held a sense of newness and excitement that forced me out on the streets every day to take it in. I got home from the trip and was set on moving over to see if I could hack it on the full time, but like so many plans, life got in the way. I met the Army Brat and all my plans went on hold for him (I don't regret it either, if you are sitting there tutting about a girl giving up something for love), then the break down followed not long after and life has just been chugging along ever since. There is really nothing holding me in Perth and I think its time for a change, because after all a change is as good as a holiday. 

I cant wait for views like this on the daily

I threw my plans up on facebook and was surprised at the response that I got, all my east Coast friends were over the moon about it (and why wouldn't they be) and all my West Coast friends were telling me not to do it. I don't think this comes from them thinking I will fail, but more from the fact that the idea of a life without me is a hard thing to comprehend (I took artistic liberties here but I am sure the round about reason works out to be the same thing).  I think that people are of the impression that once you leave you cant come back, or that I am going to be moving to Mars. Moving to Melbourne is like moving to Geraldton, but just in another state. 

same same maybe

I am fully aware that this is going to be a challenge,  but heck I LOVE a challenge (why do you think I have kept my car CA for so long?). The way that I look at it is everyone from Perth goes to Melbourne regularly, we have skype and mobile and at least I am still in the same country. And even with the time zone difference, I will probably be awake when you West Coasters are anyway (thats one benefit of not sleeping hey?). Its also going to come with sacrifices, I will be leaving my Stella (for the interim atleast), I will have to move out of my amazing house and leave my amazing house mate (who I have told when I want to come back he needs to kick out his new flat mates and he has agreed) I am going to have to buckle down and save hard core so no more pretty things or partying and the biggest sacrifice will come in the form of possibly missing Japan this year (this one does make me sad) but life is about sacrifices when it comes to getting what you want.  

And as my favourite little Sergio told me today "inner city Melbourne roads are shit, but on the plus side there are lots of people, Kerry likes people" so I am ready for this, Perth will always be my home, and there is a high chance that I will fail, but I will never know unless I give it a try. So the date is set, start of July, Melbourne I'm coming for you, so people be scared because you don't really have any choice but to be my friend (I am good at making friends, if you don't believe me look here)

I saw this in Melbs, there is hope for me

Love and Grand Adventures 

Miss K 

This is me, just trying to find where I fit in

1 comment:

  1. You should write more things about your amazing housemate.

    ReplyDelete