Wednesday 11 December 2013

Passion for the Passionate?

Facebook has made me realise that I may be lacking in passion, I have no causes that I am championing and nothing that I would fight to the bitter death for and I am trying to decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I would be that girl at the feminism rally refusing to burn my bra because I personally feel that bras have served me well and should be instead celebrated. There are different types of passions and different types of Champions, here are my thoughts on just that

The Extremist – This is my cause and if you don’t choose to follow it with as much vigour as me I will curse you out and tell you how wrong you are spending your life. Don’t try to give me reasons or information as to why you think differently because I don’t want to know because I know best.
We all know people like this, they get so wrapped up in their own way of thinking that they are unwilling to look outside the square that they have created for themselves. This is a time when having a cause can actually turn you into an arsehole and make people turn away from the cause instead. I know that I will be less likely to read something that is aggressive and I would like to be remembered for the right reasons. Remember Extremist campaigners, you are the face of your “Cause” so maybe think about that next time you have a go at someone that doesn’t believe precisely what you do.



The Quiet Achievers – Here is the information on a subject that I feel passionate about. The End.
I was always told that you get more bears with honey than you do with vinegar and I think this comes into play here. They provide an intelligent argument with all sides of the story covered and they listen when you have questions or objections. People are generally nicer to these Causists because the causists are nicer to them. They are firm in their beliefs and would like people to believe along with them but are ok if they choose not to.



The Bangwagoners – What ever the latest and greatest cause is, I want to get on it to  show the World that I care about something.
Generally the Bandwagons take what ever is fed to them without actually researching it themselves. What springs to mind is Kony and his child soldiers. Every man and his dog jumped on it, posted it all over the facecracks and wanted to do their bit to help. What they didn’t realise is that it wasn’t a new issue and had in fact been going on for years and I think (but please don’t quote me) Kony had already been caught when the uproar was going on. These people want to feel a part of something because if you stand by and do nothing then there must be something wrong with you and you will be judged harshly by your peers. Its easier to be a sheep and follow the heard with the trends than to stand out on your own. I always liked the colour black though so being the black sheep in this case and not joining in wouldn’t be so bad.  



I would like to think that if I was to be a champion I would be the Quiet Achiever type, I have always had the ability to look at things from most angles (even if I don’t like what the other side looks like) so I would hope to think that I am able to present things in a positive friendly note. Now is probably the time to admit that in my past life I was a bit of an extremist when it came to religion and felt that it was my duty to inform everyone that they were going to hell because they didn’t believe in my god. It didn’t really win me any fans and instead made me come up against much opposition and hatred. I had turned into that arsehole that was blindly following my cause without a care. This isn’t a person that I would like to be and now that I am older and a bit more mature I don’t think I would be like that again.

Some causes that I may consider Championing would be the stocking of Spearmint Milk and Polony in Victoria shops, a 4 days working week and a public holiday for my birthday. These things would have a direct effect on me and would be of benefit to all those who are around me. Can you imagine all the Polony sandwiches that would be washed down with Spearmint milk if I had my way? What a glorious world we would live in then.  



Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with child soldiers, of the killing of the sharks or the criminalisation of abortion but as they are not issues that directly affect me they are not at the forefront of my mind. Maybe that makes me selfish but my thinking goes as far as to if I am going to be able to pay my rent and if I am going to have an anxiety attack again when the person sits to close to me on the tram. Maybe one day I will wish that I was more active in my campaigning about what ever issue it is that is affecting me at the time but for now I guess I just don’t have the energy. It may also be the thought that it might all be stuff and nonsense, I understand that one person can make a difference but struggle to see how I could be that person.

So have your causes and champion your passions but maybe take the time to think about the bigger picture, after all you are the face of the thing you are fighting for and what makes the world great is that everyone has different thoughts.

Love and Picketing 

Miss K 

No comments:

Post a Comment