Sunday 1 July 2012

The 'Burn - I'm feeling it


So I am here, sitting in a trendy Café on a trendy Melbourne Street listening to Lana Del Rays soulful voice sipping on my coffee and thinking to myself, How the Hell did I get here? Its day 4 in the 'Burn and here are my observations so far

This is from the Illy Cafe at the end of my Road. A-MAZING Breakfast Stack

Garrish woollen knitted jumpers – they are all the rage, doesn’t matter if you are male or female EVERYONE is wearing them, probably the more oversized the better

No Shit I think this guy walked past me before

Pants Don’t Fit – This one mainly goes for guys but I have noticed a distinct lack of tailoring in bottom coverings, the legs are too short, the bottoms to big and as a whole they are all wayyyyyy to tight. Where do the "men" go in this situation?

Do you own a brush? – the messy just sexed look is clearly the in thing, don’t get me wrong, I don’t actually brush my hair either but atleast I try to pull it into some semblance of order. It is windy here, maybe that’s the reason, but you would think that when you go inside you would try and fix it up? Maybe?



Its Cold -  yes I know you are going to say, no shit Sherlock but I don’t think you actually understand what I mean when I say its cold. This cold gets into your bones and makes you hold off until the last second to get up and run downstairs to use the toilet which is a dangerous think when you are about to wet yourself and you have no co-ordination

Not Trendy Enough – I don’t think I am trendy enough looking to be able to intergrate myself into society here successfully, I don’t wear enough dull colours, have enough ill fitting beanies or have a hipster hair cut (which I refuse to do, I may eventually cave to the other elements but the hair stays long and beautiful)

Actually... I could actually fit in....

If your dad doesn’t have a beard you have two mums – well there is little chance of that here, every man and his dog has a beard, this is one thing that I am enjoying. I don’t think it is any secret that I am a fan of the beard, I like to stroke them, nothing suss

Cant tell if gay, or just metro – maybe it’s the hormones in the chicken but men these days (or men here) always make me question if they like my bits or not. This at the moment is really a moot point because I am taking myself off the market and I am all about loving everyone, but how do single girls living here figure out who is available for the picking.



Your doorstep, Im on it – EVERYTHING is close to my house, there is a church and a pub at the end of my street, a Café or eatery every 10 metres and Safeway (That’s Victorian Woolies) is a 5 minute stroll away with my Nana trolley. There are 4, that’s right FOUR!!! Bike stores within easy strolling distance from my front door

I haven’t seen as many fixies as I was anticipating – I don’t know what I thought, maybe in my head no one walked and everyone instead road on their fixie bikes wearing their garish woollen jumpers and ill fitting beanies, well I was wrong on that premise and have only seen one fixie, and the guy was wheeling it on the street instead of riding it (my observation on his attire was 100% correct though).  Just as a side note I have seen the bike that I want and probably much to many of your disappointment its not a fixie. Its green and awesome and I am planning in my head all the modifications that I can do to it

Brunswick, for all your wedding needs – I kid you not, Victorians must love their weddings because every 3rd shop on Sydney Road is a Bridal shop. Don’t like the dress in the first shop, that’s fine, just wander down two doors and they may have something that is more accommodating. Driving in the taxi from the Airport I remarked this to the taxi driver and he just laughed along with me (or at me, I am not really sure)



Submerged in Graff – Melbourne has been long known as the street art capital of the world and I have not been disappointed with what I have wandered across so far (I haven’t really been looking hard and haven’t really explored outside my own area yet). The colour explosion that fills every alley and back corner lights my heart and inspires me to undertake my own artist journeys.

N.B Whilst walking to this Café I wandered down a side street following the path of graff that was there and on rounding a corner saw a guy about my age tagging a bin (it was pretty ornate) he stopped what he was doing and hid his pen before he realised that I wasn’t a threat and pulled the pen out and continued his work again. I introduced myself and asked where the best places for me to go to look at graff would be and his response was “Anywhere” and on pressing him he was very off hand with his responses so I thanked him and went on my way a bit miffed at his reaction. I was just taking an interest, I guess the open can of Bundy next to his foot should have been an indication that he may not have been the one for me to try and make friends with.

Stencil from the end of my Road. I love Stencils

So how is it going? If I am 100% honest, its hard, much harder than I imagined.  I feel isolated and some what forgotten (this started before I left Perth, but I guess people shutting down and ignoring me is their way of dealing with the situation). I have had visitors over from Perth and as such haven’t actually had any time to explore by myself or actually get my head around the whole thing. I always tried to play it down in my head that it wasn’t actually a big deal as it was. But hey we all know the way that I am, throw me in the deep end and make me swim. This is the shit that I thrive on. At the end of this, if I fail then atleast I know that I gave it a try and I know that’s a lot more than what most people do. So for now, I am going to try, give it everything I've got and see where we stand when the dust settles

Love and Cable Knits

Miss K


No comments:

Post a Comment