Tuesday 29 April 2014

To the outside world we are simply...

On the recommendation (or the constant harassing) of a friend I finally watched The Breakfast Club (well if I am honest, watching Pitch Perfect kind of made me want to watch it too) and while it wasn't as great as what everyone made it out to be it did at least get me thinking. We are seemingly the image that we portray to the world but maybe this image isn't exactly who we are. So here is me, how I identify myself, whether you agree with me or not

I am Damaged - Life caught me and shook me around a bit. I am like that bottle of Coke that you dropped on the ground, you need to let it settle down before you take the lid off. 

I am Independent - fiercely. I am my own person, I can do these things myself because then when it fails its all on me. Its safer this way.

I am a Hermit - I want to be alone in my bubble. My bubble can expand to fit you in, but only when I am ready. I don't want to talk, I don't want to move, I just want to be still.

I am Slightly Left of Centre - I am quirky and strange and a clown and a little bit different from everyone else and that's just the way I was made. I had to be who I am because everyone else was taken.

I am Fragile - I will never admit it but I need people to care for me. Even if its just a little bit when I let them, i still need it. I want to be wrapped in Cotton Wool every now and again to feel precious.

I am not as brave as I make out to be - I got told last night that I was not as Strong and Independent as I thought I was and that was OK. I have always been told to put on a brave face and have done it so that people around me don't suffer, people just expect it now so its hard for people to see what it really is

I am Stubborn - take it as a trait of being a Taurean maybe but chances are I will lock horns with you if I disagree... and I probably will. Its what I do.

I am Scared - always, over everything. I don't let it rule me though, the world keeps spinning so I have to as well 

I am a Romantic - I love romance, I Love the Idea of being in Love, I love weddings. I am unashamed. I may not have it just yet but its the idea of it that pushes me on every day. If I think you are worth it, my whole life will be about making yours better.

I am an Optimist - I believe it will work out, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but some time soon. All of this is just preparing me for that

I am Victorian - For many years I was Western Australian but it hit me on the weekend that now more than anything I am Victorian. This one took me a bit by surprise and it was as simple as the person who I decided to back. I was at a National Drift competition and when a WA Kid and  Vic Kid were driving against each other I always chose to back the Vic Kid. Home is where your heart is... and now my heart is here

I have also recently been struck by the thought that possibly the way that people view us influences the way that we view ourselves.  Is it not human nature to believe something that you are told often. A friend of mine keeps warning me off him because he is a bad and selfish person and I honestly believe that he thinks that with his whole heart. From what I have seen though he is kind and patient and caring and loving... and every time I tell him this his response is "just wait". What has happened to him to get him to the point where he cant see the good in himself. Is it not the same for me as well? I get told often enough that I am damaged so now I believe it to be real but maybe I am not damaged at all and everyone is going through the same stuff as I am.... maybe its not damaged, its just life.

Maybe its time that we all change our mind sets, we are the reality that we create for ourselves, we need to stop letting other people dictate what that reality is going to be. Just a thought, on who I am and who I want to be.

Love and Character Traits

Miss K

Dear Mr. Vernon: 
We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But, we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But, what we found out is that each one of us is: a brain . . .
Andrew Clark: And an athlete . . .
Allison Reynolds: And a basket case . . .
Claire Standish: A princess . . .
John Bender: And a criminal.
Brian Johnson: Does that answer your question? 
Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club. 


No comments:

Post a Comment